A 79-year-old woman was admitted to our hospital with dysphagia and chest pain that she had experienced for 20 years (Eckardt score: 7).
1A barium swallow examination showed a corkscrew appearance characteristic of diffuse esophageal spasm (DES) (Fig. 1A). Esophageal manometry showed simultaneous and multiple peaked contractions associated with more than 20% of wet swallows, whereas mean the simultaneous contraction amplitude was over 30 mm Hg (Fig. 1B). Therefore, the patient received a diagnosis of DES.
- Eckardt V.F.
Clinical presentations and complications of achalasia.
Gastrointest Endosc Clin N Am. 2001; 11 (vi): 281-292
- Spechler S.J.
- Castell D.O.
Classification of oesophageal motility abnormalities.
Gut. 2001; 49: 145-151
- Richter J.E.
Oesophageal motility disorders.
Lancet. 2001; 358: 823-828
Abbreviations:DES (diffuse esophageal spasm), POEM (peroral endoscopic myotomy)
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Clinical presentations and complications of achalasia.Gastrointest Endosc Clin N Am. 2001; 11 (vi): 281-292
- Classification of oesophageal motility abnormalities.Gut. 2001; 49: 145-151
- Oesophageal motility disorders.Lancet. 2001; 358: 823-828
- Peroral endoscopic myotomy (POEM) for esophageal achalasia.Endoscopy. 2010; 42: 265-271
- Thoracoscopic esophageal myotomy: a surgical technique for achalasia diffuse esophageal spasm and “nutcracker esophagus.”.Surg Endosc. 1994; 8 (discussion 5-6): 921-925
- Esophagomyotomy for noncardiac chest pain resulting from diffuse esophageal spasm and related disorders.Am J Med. 1992; 92: 129S-131S
Published online: April 09, 2012
© 2013 American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.