Background and Aims
ERCP is a difficult procedure to perform in Billroth II gastrectomy patients because of altered anatomy. We investigated the outcomes and risk factors for adverse events with ERCP using a cap-fitted forward-viewing endoscope with endoscopic papillary balloon dilation (EPBD) in Billroth II gastrectomy patients.
The records for Billroth II gastrectomy patients who underwent ERCP using a cap-fitted forward-viewing endoscope with EPBD at 5 institutions between August 2008 and April 2014 were retrospectively reviewed. The outcomes and risk factors for adverse events resulting from this treatment were analyzed.
In total, 165 patients were identified. ERCP was technically successful in 144 patients (87.3%) and clinically successful in 141 patients (85.5%). Adverse events occurred in 38 patients (23.0%): perforation in 3 cases (1.8%), pancreatitis in 13 cases (7.9%), and asymptomatic hyperamylasemia in 22 patients (13.3%). In univariate analysis, ≥2 ERCP sessions, periampullary diverticulum, and common bile duct (CBD) stone size ≥ 12 mm were found to be associated with ERCP-related adverse events. In multivariate analysis, ≥2 ERCP sessions (odds ratio [OR], 4.762; 95% confidence interval [CI], 1.472-15.402; P = .009) and a CBD stone size ≥ 12 mm (OR, 3.213; 95% CI, 1.140-9.057; P = .027) were significant.
ERCP using a cap-fitted forward-viewing endoscope with EPBD is feasible in Billroth II gastrectomy patients. In patients with ≥2 ERCP sessions or a CBD stone size ≥ 12 mm, special attention should be paid to the possible occurrence of significant adverse events.
Abbreviations:CBD (common bile duct), CI (confidence interval), EPBD (endoscopic papillary balloon dilation), EST (endoscopic sphincterotomy), OR (odds ratio)
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- ERCP.Gut. 1977; 18: 316-341
- Endoscopic cannulation of the ampulla of vater: a preliminary report.Ann Surg. 1968; 167: 752-756
- ERCP in post-Billroth II gastrectomy patients: emphasis on technique.Am J Gastroenterol. 1999; 94: 144-148
- Endoscopic sphincterotomy in patients with Billroth II gastrectomy.Endoscopy. 1980; 12: 16-22
- Endoscopic sphincterotomy (EST) in patients with Billroth II gastrectomy.Endoscopy. 1981; 13: 19-24
- ERCP and sphincterotomy after Billroth II gastrectomy.Gut. 1984; 25: 971-974
- Endoscopic retrograde cholangiography and endoscopic papillotomy in patients with a previous Billroth-II resection.Gut. 1986; 27: 1193-1198
- Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography and needle-knife sphincterotomy in patients with Billroth II gastrectomy: a comparative study of the forward-viewing endoscope and the side-viewing duodenoscope.Endoscopy. 1997; 29: 82-85
- Therapeutic endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography using an anterior oblique-viewing endoscope for bile duct stones in patients with prior Billroth II gastrectomy.J Gastroenterol. 2009; 44: 212-217
- Usefulness of forward-viewing endoscope for endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography in patients with Billroth II gastrectomy.Clin Endosc. 2012; 45: 397-403
- ERCP plus papillotomy by use of double-balloon enteroscopy after Billroth II gastrectomy.Gastrointest Endosc. 2007; 66: 1234-1236
- Single-balloon enteroscopy-assisted ERCP in patients with Billroth II gastrectomy or Roux-en-Y anastomosis (with video).Am J Gastroenterol. 2010; 105: 93-99
- ERCP with the overtube-assisted enteroscopy technique: a systematic review.Endoscopy. 2014; 46: 560-572
- Diagnostic and therapeutic ERCP in patients with Billroth II gastrectomy.Acta Gastroenterol Belg. 1994; 57: 155-162
- Endoscopic sphincterotomy using an S-shaped sphincterotome in patients with a Billroth II or Roux-en-Y gastrojejunostomy.Endoscopy. 1997; 29: 74-78
- One-step transpapillary balloon dilation under cap-fitted endoscopy without a preceding sphincterotomy for the removal of bile duct stones in Billroth II gastrectomy.Gut Liver. 2012; 6: 113-117
- Cap-assisted endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography in a patient with a Billroth II gastrectomy.Endoscopy. 2004; 36: 666
- Efficacy of total colonoscopy with a transparent cap in comparison with colonoscopy without the cap.Endoscopy. 1998; 30: 444-447
- Cap-fitted gastroscopy improves visualization and targeting of lesions.Gastrointest Endosc. 2001; 53: 93-95
- A randomized trial of endoscopic balloon dilation and endoscopic sphincterotomy for removal of bile duct stones in patients with a prior Billroth II gastrectomy.Gastrointest Endosc. 2001; 53: 19-26
- Endoscopic papillary large balloon dilatation alone is safe and effective for the treatment of difficult choledocholithiasis in cases of Billroth II gastrectomy: a single center experience.Dig Dis Sci. 2013; 58: 1737-1743
- Endoscopic papillary large balloon dilation in Billroth II gastrectomy patients with bile duct stones.J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2012; 27: 256-260
- Cap-assisted ERCP in patients with a Billroth II gastrectomy.Gastrointest Endosc. 2007; 66: 612-615
- Guidelines for antibiotic prophylaxis for GI endoscopy.Gastrointest Endosc. 2003; 58: 475-482
- Guidewire cannulation reduces risk of post-ERCP pancreatitis and facilitates bile duct cannulation.Am J Gastroenterol. 2007; 102: 2147-2153
- Endoscopic sphincterotomy complications and their management: an attempt at consensus.Gastrointest Endosc. 1991; 37: 383-393
- A lexicon for endoscopic adverse events: report of an ASGE workshop.Gastrointest Endosc. 2010; 71: 446-454
- Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography in patients with Billroth II gastroenterostomy.J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2007; 22: 1210-1213
- ERCP in patients with prior Billroth II gastrectomy: report of 30 years' experience.Endoscopy. 2015; 47: 611-616
- Endoscopic balloon dilation compared with sphincterotomy for extraction of bile duct stones.Gastroenterology. 2004; 127: 1291-1299
Published online: November 04, 2015
Accepted: October 25, 2015
Received: June 9, 2015
DISCLOSURE: All authors disclosed no financial relationships relevant to this publication.
If you would like to chat with an author of this article, you may contact Dr Song at [email protected]
Copyright © 2016 by the American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy