Background and Aims
Abbreviations:BE (Barrett’s esophagus), EAC (early adenocarcinoma), EGJ (gastroesophageal junction), EMR (endoscopic mucosal resection), ESD (endoscopic submucosal dissection), EUS (endoscopic ultrasound), HGD (high-grade dysplasia)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- A global assessment of the oesophageal adenocarcinoma epidemic.Gut. 2013; 62: 1406-1414
Dubecz A, Solymosi N, Stadlhuber RJ, et al. Does the incidence of adenocarcinoma of the esophagus and gastric cardia continue to rise in the twenty-first century?a- SEER database analysis. J Gastrointest Surg Tract. Epub 2013 Nov 15.
- Risk of malignant progression in patients with Barrett's oesophagus: a Dutch nationwide cohort study.Gut. 2010; 59: 1030-1036
- Recent developments in esophageal adenocarcinoma.CA Cancer J Clin. 2013; 63: 232-248
- Endoscopic eradication of Barrett’s esophagus.Gastrointest Endosc. 2010; 71: 147-166
- Survival of patients with superficial esophageal adenocarcinoma after endoscopic treatment vs surgery.Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2013; 11 (e1422; quiz e1481): 1424-1429
- ACG Clinical Guideline: diagnosis and management of Barrett’s esophagus.Am J Gastroenterol. 2015; 111: 30-50
- Endoscopic resection for Barrett’s high-grade dysplasia and early esophageal adenocarcinoma: an essential staging procedure with long-term therapeutic benefit.Am J Gastroenterol. 2010; 105: 1276-1283
- Management of superficial Barrett’s epithelium-related neoplasms by endoscopic mucosal resection: clinicopathologic analysis of 27 cases.Am J Surg Pathol. 2005; 29: 680-686
- Perspective on the practical indications of endoscopic submucosal dissection of gastrointestinal neoplasms.World J Gastroenterol. 2008; 14: 4289-4295
- Endoscopic resection for premalignant and malignant lesions of the gastrointestinal tract from the esophagus to the colon.Gastrointest Endosc Clin North Am. 2008; 18 (viii): 435-450
- Meta-analysis of endoscopic submucosal dissection versus endoscopic mucosal resection for tumors of the gastrointestinal tract.Endoscopy. 2009; 41: 751-757
- Endoscopic submucosal dissection versus endoscopic mucosal resection for the treatment of early esophageal carcinoma: a meta-analysis.Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2014; 15: 1803-1806
- Long-term outcomes of endoscopic submucosal dissection for superficial esophageal squamous cell neoplasms.Gastrointest Endosc. 2009; 70: 860-866
- Endoscopic submucosal dissection is superior to conventional endoscopic resection as a curative treatment for early squamous cell carcinoma of the esophagus (with video).Gastrointest Endosc. 2010; 72 (264 e251-e252): 255-264
- Early esophageal cancer in Europe: endoscopic treatment by endoscopic submucosal dissection.Endoscopy. 2015; 47: 113-121
- Clinical outcomes of endoscopic submucosal dissection for superficial Barrett's adenocarcinoma.Gastrointest Endosc. 2014; 80: 239-245
- Clinical outcome in patients treated with endoscopic submucosal dissection for superficial Barrett’s neoplasia.Endoscopy. 2015; 47: 103-112
- The development and validation of an endoscopic grading system for Barrett’s esophagus: the Prague C&M criteria.Gastroenterology. 2006; 131: 1392-1399
- Update on the Paris classification of superficial neoplastic lesions in the digestive tract.Endoscopy. 2005; 37: 570-578
- The Vienna classification of gastrointestinal epithelial neoplasia.Gut. 2000; 47: 251-255
- Adverse events of upper GI endoscopy.Gastrointest Endosc. 2012; 76: 707-718
- Clinical impact of endoscopic submucosal dissection for superficial adenocarcinoma located at the esophagogastric junction.Gastrointest Endosc. 2008; 67: 202-209
- Early esophageal cancer in Europe: endoscopic treatment by endoscopic submucosal dissection.Endoscopy. 2014; 47: 113-121
- Endoscopic submucosal dissection plus radiofrequency ablation of neoplastic Barrett’s esophagus.Endoscopy. 2012; 44: 1105-1113
- Superficial adenocarcinoma of the esophagogastric junction: long-term results of endoscopic submucosal dissection.Gastrointest Endosc. 2010; 72: 960-966
- Single center experience of endoscopic submucosal dissection (ESD) in early Barrett’s adenocarcinoma.Surg Endosc. 2015; 29: 1591-1597
- Long-term outcome of endoscopic resection of superficial adenocarcinoma of the esophagogastric junction.Endoscopy. 2013; 45: 992-996
- Comparison of the clinicopathological characteristics and results of endoscopic submucosal dissection for esophagogastric junction and non-junctional cancers.Digestion. 2013; 87: 29-33
- Histologic evaluation of resection specimens obtained at 293 endoscopic resections in Barrett’s esophagus.Gastrointest Endosc. 2008; 67: 604-609
- The learning curve for EMR with circumferential mucosal incision in treating intramucosal gastric neoplasm.Gastrointest Endosc. 2005; 62: 860-865
- Effective training system in colorectal endoscopic submucosal dissection.Dig Endosc. 2012; 24: 84-89
- A learning curve for advanced endoscopic resection.Gastrointest Endosc. 2005; 62: 866-867
- Endoscopic submucosal dissection for early gastric cancer performed by supervised residents: assessment of feasibility and learning curve.Endoscopy. 2009; 41: 923-928
- Current status of training for endoscopic submucosal dissection for gastric epithelial neoplasm at Cancer Institute Hospital, Japanese Foundation for Cancer Research, a famous Japanese hospital.Dig Endosc. 2012; 24: 148-153
- Conventional vs. waterjet-assisted endoscopic submucosal dissection in early gastric cancer: a randomized controlled trial.Endoscopy. 2014; 46: 836-843
Terheggen G, Horn EM, Vieth M, et al. A randomised trial of endoscopic submucosal dissection versus endoscopic mucosal resection for early Barrett’s neoplasia. Gut. Epub 2016 Jan 22.
- Systematic review comparing radiofrequency ablation and complete endoscopic resection in treating dysplastic Barrett’s esophagus: a critical assessment of histologic outcomes and adverse events.Gastrointest Endosc. 2014; 79: 718-731.e713
- Predictors of postoperative stricture after esophageal endoscopic submucosal dissection for superficial squamous cell neoplasms.Endoscopy. 2009; 41: 661-665
- Esophageal stricture prevention after endoscopic submucosal dissection.Clin Endosc. 2016; 49: 241-256
DISCLOSURE: All authors disclosed no financial relationships relevant to this publication.
See CME section; p. 731.