Background and Aims
Carbohydrate sulfotransferase 15 (CHST15) promotes tumor growth and invasion and is considered to be an emergent therapeutic target for pancreatic cancer. The aim of this study was to evaluate the safety and efficacy of EUS-guided fine-needle injection (EUS-FNI) of STNM01, the double-stranded RNA oligonucleotide that specifically represses CHST15, for use in patients with pancreatic cancer.
Six patients with unresectable pancreatic cancer, treated at Tokyo Metropolitan Geriatric Hospital, were used in this open-labeled, investigator-initiated trial. A total of 16 mL STNM01 (250 nM) was injected into the tumor through EUS-FNI. The study’s primary endpoint was safety, with a secondary endpoint of tumor response 4 weeks after the initial injection. Some patients received a series of infusions as extensions. The local expression of CHST15 and overall survival (OS) were also evaluated.
There were no adverse events. The mean tumor diameter changed from 30.7 to 29.3 mm 4 weeks after injection. Four patients exhibited necrosis of tumor in biopsy specimens. CHST15 was highly expressed at baseline, with 2 patients showing large reductions of CHST15 at week 4. The mean OS of these 2 patients was 15 months, whereas it was 5.7 months for the other 4 patients.
EUS-FNI of STNM01 in pancreatic cancer is safe and feasible. The CHST15 reduction could predict tumor progression and OS. Injections of STNM01 during the beginning of treatment may reduce CHST15 and warrants further investigation.
Abbreviations:AE (adverse event), CHST15 (carbohydrate sulfotransferase 15), FNI (fine-needle injection), OS (overall survival), sCD44v6 (soluble CD44 variant 6)
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Endoscopic ultrasound delivery of an antitumor agent to treat a case of pancreatic cancer.Nat Clin Pract Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2008; 5: 107-111
- EBM-based clinical guidelines for pancreatic cancer (2013) issued by the Japan Pancreas Society: a synopsis.Jpn J Clin Oncol. 2014; 44: 883-888
- EUS or percutaneously guided intratumoral TNFerade biologic with 5-fluorouracil and radiotherapy for first-line treatment of locally advanced pancreatic cancer: a phase I/II study.Gastrointest Endosc. 2012; 75: 332-338
- EUS-guided fine-needle injection of gemcitabine for locally advanced and metastatic pancreatic cancer.Gastrointest Endosc. 2017; 86: 161-169
- Emerging concepts in pancreatic cancer medicine: targeting the tumor stroma.Onco Targets Ther. 2014; 7: 33-43
- Prognostic impact of carbohydrate sulfotransferase 15 in patients with pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma.Oncol Lett. 2017; 13: 4799-4805
- Prognostic significance of highly sulfated chondroitin sulfates in ovarian cancer defined by the single chain antibody GD3A11.Gynecol Oncol. 2016; 140: 527-536
- Glycosaminoglycans are functional ligands for receptor for advanced glycation end-products in tumors.FEBS J. 2013; 280: 2462-2470
- Chondroitin sulfate E fragments enhance CD44 cleavage and CD44-dependent motility in tumor cells.Cancer Res. 2008; 68: 7191-7199
- Inhibition of cell proliferation and growth of pancreatic cancer by silencing of carbohydrate sulfotransferase 15 in vitro and in a xenograft model.PLoS One. 2015; 10: e0142981
- Phase 1 clinical study of siRNA targeting carbohydrate sulphotransferase 15 in Crohn's disease patients with active mucosal lesions.J Crohns Colitis. 2017; 11: 221-228
- EUS-guided fine-needle injection of gemcitabine for locally advanced and metastatic pancreatic cancer.Gastrointest Endosc. 2016; 86: 161-169
- Pancreatic cancer.Lancet. 2016; 388: 73-85
- Possibilities of interventional endoscopic ultrasound.World J Gastrointest Endosc. 2012; 4: 301-305
- Interventional endoscopic ultrasonography for pancreatic cancer.World J Clin Oncol. 2011; 2: 108-114
- Interventional therapy for pancreatic cancer.Gastrointest Tumors. 2016; 3: 81-89
- The sweet and sour of cancer: glycans as novel therapeutic targets.Nat Rev Cancer. 2005; 5: 526-542
- EMT program is dispensable for metastasis but induce chemoresistance in pancreatic cancer.Nature. 2015; 527: 525-530
- CD44 variant regulates redox status in cancer cells by stabilizing the xCT subunit of system xc- and thereby promotes tumor growth.Cancer Cell. 2011; 19: 387-400
- Serum concentration of CD44 variant 6 and its correlation to prognosis in patients with gastric carcinoma.Cancer. 1988; 83: 1094-1101
- CD44v/CD44s expression patterns are associated with the survival of pancreatic carcinoma patients.Diagn Pathol. 2014; 9: 79
Published online: November 06, 2017
Accepted: October 19, 2017
Received: June 6, 2017
DISCLOSURE: All authors disclosed no financial relationships relevant to this publication.
© 2018 by the American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy