Background and Aims
Abbreviations:ADR (adenoma detection rate), CRC (colorectal cancer), IQR (interquartile range)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Cancer statistics, 2016.CA Cancer J Clin. 2016; 66: 7-30
- American College of Gastroenterology guidelines for colorectal cancer screening 2009 [corrected].Am J Gastroenterol. 2009; 104: 739-750
- Colonoscopy reduces colorectal cancer incidence and mortality in patients with non-malignant findings: a meta-analysis.Am J Gastroenterol. 2016; 111: 355-365
- Colonoscopy screening markedly reduces the occurrence of colon carcinomas and carcinoma-related death: a closed cohort study.Gastrointest Endosc. 2012; 76: 110-117
- Prevention of colorectal cancer by flexible endoscopy and polypectomy: a case-control study of 32,702 veterans.Ann Intern Med. 1995; 123: 904-910
- Quality indicators for colonoscopy and the risk of interval cancer.N Engl J Med. 2010; 362: 1795-1803
- Adenoma detection rate and risk of colorectal cancer and death.N Engl J Med. 2014; 370: 1298-1306
- Colonoscopic withdrawal times and adenoma detection during screening colonoscopy.N Engl J Med. 2006; 355: 2533-2541
- Wide variation in adenoma detection rates at screening flexible sigmoidoscopy.Gastroenterology. 2004; 126: 1247-1256
- The time and financial impact of training fellows in endoscopy. CORI Research Project. Clinical Outcomes Research Initiative.Am J Gastroenterol. 2000; 95: 3129-3132
- Colonoscopy training in gastroenterology fellowships: determining competence.Gastrointest Endosc. 2010; 71: 319-324
- Fellow involvement may increase adenoma detection rates during colonoscopy.Am J Gastroenterol. 2008; 103: 2841-2846
- Level of fellowship training increases adenoma detection rates.Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2010; 8: 439-442
- Does trainee participation during colonoscopy affect adenoma detection rates?.Dis Colon Rectum. 2009; 52: 1337-1344
- Trainee participation is associated with increased small adenoma detection.Gastrointest Endosc. 2011; 73: 1223-1231
- A longitudinal study of adenoma detection rate in gastroenterology fellowship training.Dig Dis Sci. 2016; 61: 2831-2837
- Colonoscopy core curriculum.Gastrointest Endosc. 2012; 76: 482-490
- Sedation in gastrointestinal endoscopy: current issues.World J Gastroenterol. 2013; 19: 463-481
- Diphenhydramine as an adjunct to sedation for colonoscopy: a double-blind randomized, placebo-controlled study.Gastrointest Endosc. 2006; 63: 87-94
- Glucagon facilitates colonoscopy and reduces patient discomfort: a randomized double-blind controlled trial with salivary amylase stress analysis.Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2013; 25: 575-579
- Endoscopist can be more powerful than age and male gender in predicting adenoma detection at colonoscopy.Am J Gastroenterol. 2007; 102: 856-861
- Split-dose preparation for colonoscopy increases adenoma detection rate: a randomised controlled trial in an organised screening programme.Gut. 2015;
- Latest generation, wide-angle, high-definition colonoscopes increase adenoma detection rate.Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2012; 10: 155-159
- New-generation high-definition colonoscopes increase adenoma detection when screening a moderate-risk population for colorectal cancer.Clin Colorectal Cancer. 2016; 16: 44-50
- Gastrointestinal endoscopy nurse experience and polyp detection during screening colonoscopy.Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2008; 6: 1342-1347
- A tandem colonoscopy study of adenoma miss rates during endoscopic training: a venture into uncharted territory.Gastrointest Endosc. 2012; 75: 561-567
ACGME program requirements for graduate medical education in gastroenterology. 2017. Available at: http://www.acgme.org/Specialties/Program-Requirements-and-FAQs-and-Applications/pfcatid/2/Internal%20Medicine. Accessed November 19, 2017.
- Serrated lesions of the colorectum: review and recommendations from an expert panel.Am J Gastroenterol. 2012; 107 (quiz 4, 30): 1315-1329
- Sessile serrated polyp prevalence determined by a colonoscopist with a high lesion detection rate and an experienced pathologist.Gastrointest Endosc. 2015; 81: 517-524
- Prevalence and variable detection of proximal colon serrated polyps during screening colonoscopy.Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2011; 9: 42-46
- Miss rate of right-sided colon examination during colonoscopy defined by retroflexion: an observational study.Gastrointest Endosc. 2011; 74: 246-252
- Impact of retroflexion vs. second forward view examination of the right colon on adenoma detection: a comparison study.Am J Gastroenterol. 2015; 110: 415-422
- Right-sided adenoma detection with retroflexion versus forward-view colonoscopy.Gastrointest Endosc. 2015; 81: 608-613
- Endoscopic sedation in the United States: results from a nationwide survey.Am J Gastroenterol. 2006; 101: 967-974
- Projected increased growth rate of anesthesia professional-delivered sedation for colonoscopy and EGD in the United States: 2009 to 2015.Gastrointest Endosc. 2010; 72: 580-586
Vargo JJ, DeLegge MH, Feld AD, et al; American Association for Study of Liver Disease, American College of Gastroenterology, American Gastroenterological Association I, et al. Multisociety sedation curriculum for gastrointestinal endoscopy. Gastrointest Endosc 2012;76:e1-25.
- Virtual reality simulators for gastrointestinal endoscopy training.World J Gastrointest Endosc. 2014; 6: 6-12
- Human patient simulation and its role in endoscopic sedation training.Gastrointest Endosc Clin North Am. 2008; 18: 801-813
- Achieving competence in colonoscopy: milestones and the need for a new endoscopic curriculum in gastroenterology training.World J Gastrointest Endosc. 2015; 7: 1279-1286
- Quality indicators for colonoscopy.Am J Gastroenterol. 2006; 101: 873-885
DISCLOSURE: All authors disclosed no financial relationships relevant to this publication.
If you would like to chat with an author of this article, you may contact Dr Bitar at [email protected] .