Background and Aims
Abbreviations:CRC (colorectal cancer), CSPAT (cold snare polypectomy assessment tool), DOPyS (Direct Observation of Polypectomy Skills)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Colorectal cancer statistics, 2017.CA Cancer J Clin. 2017; 67: 177-193
- Colorectal cancer incidence patterns in the United States, 1974-2013.J Natl Cancer Inst. 2017; : 109
- Annual report to the nation on the status of cancer, 1975-2006, featuring colorectal cancer trends and impact of interventions (risk factors, screening, and treatment) to reduce future rates.Cancer. 2010; 116: 544-573
- Vital signs: colorectal cancer screening, incidence, and mortality—United States, 2002-2010.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2011; 60: 884-889
- Long-term colorectal-cancer incidence and mortality after lower endoscopy.N Engl J Med. 2013; 369: 1095-1105
- Polyp size and advanced histology in patients undergoing colonoscopy screening: implications for CT colonography.Gastroenterology. 2008; 135: 1100-1105
- Incomplete polyp resection during colonoscopy—results of the Complete Adenoma Resection (CARE) Study.Gastroenterology. 2013; 144: 74-80
- Role of the cold biopsy technique in diminutive and small colonic polyp removal: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Gastrointest Endosc. 2016; 83: 508-515
- Analysis of colorectal cancer occurrence during surveillance colonoscopy in the dietary Polyp Prevention Trial.Gastrointest Endosc. 2005; 61: 385-391
- Interval cancer after total colonoscopy: results from a pooled analysis of eight studies.Gastroenterology. 2008; 134: 111-112
- Advances in CRC prevention: screening and surveillance.Gastroenterology. 2018; 154: 1970-1984
- Assessing colon polypectomy competency and its association with established quality metrics.Gastrointest Endosc. 2018; 87: 635-644
- Status of competency-based medical education in endoscopy training: a nationwide survey of US ACGME-accredited gastroenterology training programs.Am J Gastroenterol. 2015; 110: 956-962
- Gastroenterology trainees can easily learn histologic characterization of diminutive colorectal polyps with narrow band imaging (NBI).Am J Gastroenterol. 2012; 107: S807
- Diagnostic accuracy of narrow-band imaging and pit pattern analysis significantly improved for less-experienced endoscopists after an expanded training program.Gastrointest Endosc. 2010; 72: 127-135
- ASGE's assessment of competency in endoscopy evaluation tools for colonoscopy and EGD.Gastrointest Endosc. 2014; 79: 1-7
- The validity and reliability of a Direct Observation of Procedural Skills assessment tool: assessing colonoscopic skills of senior endoscopists.Gastrointest Endosc. 2012; 75: 591-597
- Global Assessment of Gastrointestinal Endoscopic Skills (GAGES): a valid measurement tool for technical skills in flexible endoscopy.Surg Endosc. 2010; 24: 1834-1841
- A prospective comparison of live and video-based assessments of colonoscopy performance.Gastrointest Endosc. 2018; 87: 766-775
- Impact of experience on self-assessment accuracy of clinical colonoscopy competence.Gastrointest Endosc. 2018; 87: 827-836
- Development and validation of a novel method for assessing competency in polypectomy: direct observation of polypectomy skills.Gastrointest Endosc. 2011; 73: 1232-1239
- Validation of a novel method for assessing competency in polypectomy.Gastrointest Endosc. 2012; 75: 568-575
Physicians RCo. New DOPS and DOPyS forms and certification criteria. Volume 2018, 2017. Available at: https://thejag.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004038674-JETS-colonoscopy-application-criteria-and-process. Accessed January 30, 2018.
- Validity: on meaningful interpretation of assessment data.Med Educ. 2003; 37: 830-837
- An experimental application of the Delphi method to the use of experts.Manage Sci. 1963; 9: 458-467
- Consensus statements for management of Barrett's dysplasia and early-stage esophageal adenocarcinoma, based on a Delphi process.Gastroenterology. 2012; 143: 336-346
- Research electronic data capture (REDCap)—a metadata-driven methodology and workflow process for providing translational research informatics support.J Biomed Inform. 2009; 42: 377-381
- Physician assessment and management of complex colon polyps: a multicenter video-based survey study.Am J Gastroenterol. 2014; 109: 1312-1324
- Colorectal cancers soon after colonoscopy: a pooled multicohort analysis.Gut. 2014; 63: 949-956
American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases, American College of Gastroenterologists, American Gastroenterological Association et al. The gastroenterology core curriculum, third edition. Gastroenterology 2007;132:2012-8.
DISCLOSURE: The following authors disclosed financial relationships relevant to this publication: T. Kaltenbach: Consultant for Olympus America and Aries Pharmaceutical. H. Pohl: Research grant recipient from Boston Scientific, US Endoscopy, and Aries/Cosmos Pharmaceuticals. A. Rastogi: Consultant for Olympus, Boston Scientific, Cook, and Medtronic; research grant recipient from Olympus. H. Hammad: Consultant for Olympus, Cook, and Medtronic. R. Soetikno: Consultant for Olympus. A. Shergill: Research grant recipient from Pentax. R. N. Keswani: Consultant for Boston Scientific, Medtronic, and Motus-GI. S. Wani: Consultant for Boston Scientific and Medtronic. All other authors disclosed no financial relationships relevant to this publication. Research support for this study was provided by ASGE Quality in Endoscopy Award COMPLETE Study, 2017.