Background and Aims
Abbreviations:AI (artificial intelligence), CI (confidence interval), IQR (interquartile range), NPV (negative predictive value), PIVI (Preservation and Incorporation of Valuable Endoscopic Innovation)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Long-term colorectal-cancer incidence and mortality after lower endoscopy.N Engl J Med. 2013; 369: 1095-1105
- Design of the Polish Colonoscopy Screening Program: a randomized health services study.Endoscopy. 2015; 47: 1144-1150
- Population-based colonoscopy screening for colorectal cancer: a randomized clinical trial.JAMA Intern Med. 2016; 176: 894-902
- Quality assurance of computer-aided detection and diagnosis in colonoscopy.Gastrointest Endosc. 2019; 90: 55-63
- Computer-aided diagnosis for colonoscopy.Endoscopy. 2017; 49: 813-819
- Artificial intelligence and computer-aided diagnosis in colonoscopy: current evidence and future directions.Lancet Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2019; 4: 71-80
- Real-time differentiation of adenomatous and hyperplastic diminutive colorectal polyps during analysis of unaltered videos of standard colonoscopy using a deep learning model.Gut. 2019; 68: 94-100
- Real-time use of artificial intelligence in identification of diminutive polyps during colonoscopy: a prospective study.Ann Intern Med. 2018; 169: 357-366
- Computer-aided prediction of polyp histology on whilte-light colonoscopy using surface pattern analysis.Endoscopy. 2019; 51: 261-265
- Real-time computer-aided diagnosis of diminutive rectosigmoid polyps using an auto-fluorescence imaging system and novel color intensity analysis software.Scand J Gastroenterol. 2019; 54: 800-805
- Efficacy of a novel auto-fluorescence imaging system with computer-assisted color analysis for assessment of colorectal lesions.World J Gastroenterol. 2013; 19: 7146-7153
- In vivo real-time assessment of colorectal polyp histology using an optical biopsy forceps system based on laser-induced fluorescence spectroscopy.Endoscopy. 2016; 48: 557-562
- Impact of an automated system for endocytoscopic diagnosis of small colorectal lesions: an international web-based study.Endoscopy. 2016; 48: 1110-1118
- Characterization of colorectal lesions using a computer-aided diagnostic system for narrow-band imaging endocytoscopy.Gastroenterology. 2016; 150: 1531-1532.e3
- Accurate classification of diminutive colorectal polyps using computer-aided analysis.Gastroenterology. 2018; 154: 568-575
- Effectiveness of computer-aided diagnosis of colorectal lesions using novel software for magnifying narrow-band imaging: a pilot study.Endosc Int Open. 2017; 5: E690-E694
- Computer-aided diagnosis of colorectal polyp histology by using a real-time image recognition system and narrow-band imaging magnifying colonoscopy.Gastrointest Endosc. 2016; 83: 643-649
- Computer-based classification of small colorectal polyps by using narrow-band imaging with optical magnification.Gastrointest Endosc. 2011; 74: 1354-1359
- Artificial intelligence-assisted system improves endoscopic identification of colorectal neoplasms.Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. Epub. 2019; (Sep 9)
- New artificial intelligence system: first validation study versus experienced endoscopists for colorectal polyp detection.Gut. 2020; 69: 799-800
Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare in Japan. NDB open data. 2014. Available at: https://www.mhlw.go.jp/stf/seisakunitsuite/bunya/0000177182.html. Accessed December 31, 2019.
- Endoscopy in 2017: a national survey of practice in the UK.BMJ Frontline Gastroenterol. 2019; 10: 7-15
U.S. Department of Health & Human Services. Medicare Fee-for-Service Beneficiaries. 2015. Available at: https://aspe.hhs.gov/system/files/pdf/255906/DHNAdditionalInfor.pdf. Accessed December 31, 2019.
- The Paris endoscopic classification of superficial neoplastic lesions: esophagus, stomach, and colon: November 30 to December 1, 2002.Gastrointest Endosc. 2003; 58: S3-S43
- A resect and discard strategy would improve cost-effectiveness of colorectal cancer screening.Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2010; 8: 865-869.e1-3
- A quantitative assessment of the risks and cost savings of forgoing histologic examination of diminutive polyps.Endoscopy. 2011; 43: 683-691
- Optical diagnosis of small colorectal polyps at routine colonoscopy (Detect InSpect ChAracterise Resect and Discard; DISCARD trial): a prospective cohort study.Lancet Oncol. 2009; 10: 1171-1178
- Virtual chromoendoscopy to assess colorectal polyps during colonoscopy. Available at:.https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/dg28(Accessed December 31, 2019)Date: 2017
- British Society of Gastroenterology/Association of Coloproctology of Great Britain and Ireland/Public Health England post-polypectomy and post-colorectal cancer resection surveillance guidelines.Gut. 2020; 69: 201-223
- Optical biopsy and sessile serrated polyps: is DISCARD dead? Long live DISCARD-lite!.Gastrointest Endosc. 2015; 82: 118-121
- ASGE Technology Committee systematic review and meta-analysis assessing the ASGE PIVI thresholds for adopting real-time endoscopic assessment of the histology of diminutive colorectal polyps.Gastrointest Endosc. 2015; 81: 502.e1-502.e16
DISCLOSURE: Dr Y. Mori has received consultancy fees and a speaking honorarium from Olympus. Dr East is a consultant and shareholder of Satisfai Health. Dr Rastogi has received a research grant from Olympus and consultancy fees from Cook Medical and Boston Scientific. Dr Misaswa has received a speaking honorarium from Olympus. Dr K. Mori has received research funding from Cybernet.
If you would like to chat with an author of this article, you may contact Dr Y. Mori at E-mail: [email protected] .