Background and Aims
Abbreviations:AE (adverse event), CI (confidence interval), DOAC (direct oral anticoagulant), LMWH (low-molecular-weight heparin), POEM (peroral endoscopic myotomy), STROBE (Strengthening the Reporting of Observational studies in Epidemiology)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- European Guideline on Achalasia – UEG and ESNM recommendations.United European Gastroenterol J. 2020; 8: 13-34
- Endoscopic or surgical myotomy in patients with idiopathic achalasia.N Engl J Med. 2019; 381: 2219-2229
- Effect of peroral endoscopic myotomy vs pneumatic dilation on symptom severity and treatment outcomes among treatment-naive patients with achalasia: a randomized clinical trial.JAMA. 2019; 322: 134-144
- Peroral endoscopic myotomy for the treatment of achalasia: an international prospective multicenter study.Gastroenterology. 2013; 145: 309-311.e1-3
- Peroral endoscopic myotomy (POEM) for esophageal achalasia.Endoscopy. 2010; 42: 265-271
- Peroral endoscopic myotomy for achalasia: a prospective multicenter study in Japan.Gastrointest Endosc. 2020; 91: 1037-1044.e2
- Multicenter collaborative retrospective evaluation of peroral endoscopic myotomy for esophageal achalasia: analysis of data from more than 1300 patients at eight facilities in Japan.Surg Endosc. 2020; 34: 464-468
- Anterior versus posterior myotomy during poem for the treatment of achalasia: systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized clinical trials.J Gastrointest Liver Dis. 2019; 28: 107-115
- An international multicenter study evaluating the clinical efficacy and safety of per-oral endoscopic myotomy in octogenarians.Gastrointest Endosc. 2018; 87: 956-961
- The Strengthening the Reporting of Observational Studies in Epidemiology (STROBE) statement: guidelines for reporting observational studies.J Clin Epidemiol. 2008; 61: 344-349
- Esophageal hematoma after peroral endoscopic myotomy for achalasia in a patient on antiplatelet therapy.Endoscopy. 2015; 47: E363-E364
- The Chicago Classification of esophageal motility disorders, v3.0.Neurogastroenterol Motil. 2015; 27: 160-174
- comprehensive analysis of adverse events associated with per oral endoscopic myotomy in 1826 patients: an international multicenter study.Am J Gastroenterol. 2017; 112: 1267-1276
- A lexicon for endoscopic adverse events: report of an ASGE workshop.Gastrointest Endosc. 2010; 71: 446-454
- The management of antithrombotic agents for patients undergoing GI endoscopy.Gastrointest Endosc. 2016; 83: 3-16
- Endoscopy in patients on antiplatelet or anticoagulant therapy, including direct oral anticoagulants: British Society of Gastroenterology (BSG) and European Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (ESGE) guidelines.Gut. 2016; 65: 374-389
- Guidelines for gastroenterological endoscopy in patients undergoing antithrombotic treatment: 2017 appendix on anticoagulants including direct oral anticoagulants.Dig Endosc. 2018; 30: 433-440
- Unconditional or conditional logistic regression model for age-matched case-control data?.Front Public Health. 2018; 6: 57
- Early diagnosis and management of delayed bleeding in the submucosal tunnel after peroral endoscopic myotomy for achalasia (with video).Gastrointest Endosc. 2013; 78: 370-374
- Perioperative management and treatment for complications during and after peroral endoscopic myotomy (POEM) for esophageal achalasia (EA) (data from 119 cases).Surg Endosc. 2012; 26: 3267-3272
- Routine coagulation of visible vessels may prevent delayed bleeding after endoscopic submucosal dissection--an analysis of risk factors.Endoscopy. 2008; 40: 179-183
- Periendoscopic management of direct oral anticoagulants: a prospective cohort study.Gut. 2019; 68: 969-976
- Impact of direct-acting oral anticoagulants and warfarin on postendoscopic GI bleeding and thromboembolic events in patients undergoing elective endoscopy.Gastrointest Endosc. 2020; 92: 284-292.e2
- Therapeutic endoscopy-related GI bleeding and thromboembolic events in patients using warfarin or direct oral anticoagulants: results from a large nationwide database analysis.Gut. 2018; 67: 1805-1812
- Perioperative bridging anticoagulation during dabigatran or warfarin interruption among patients who had an elective surgery or procedure. Substudy of the RE-LY trial.Thromb Haemost. 2015; 113: 625-632
- Case-control studies: advantages and disadvantages.BMJ. 2014; 348: f7707
Collaborators: Haruo Ikeda,1 Man Yee Yung,7 John Katsogridakis,4 Claudia Pujols,8 Raimon Rifa,8 Beatriz Peñas-García,2 Carlos Teruel Sánchez-Vegazo,2 Carmen Serrano9
If you would like to chat with an author of this article, you may contact Dr Rodríguez de Santiago at [email protected] .
DISCLOSURE: Dr Inoue is an advisor for Olympus Corporation and Top Corporation. He has also received educational grants from Olympus and Takeda Pharmaceutical; Dr Chiu is a scientific advisory member of EndoMASTER Pte and Aptorum Co Ltd, and received research support from Olympus Co Ltd. All other authors disclosed no financial relationships.
See CME section; p. 976.