Background and Aims
Abbreviations:DHLD (double high-level disinfection), FDA (U.S. Food and Drug Administration), HLD (high-level disinfection), LCS (liquid chemical sterilization)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Notes from the field: New Delhi metallo-beta-lactamase-producing Escherichia coli associated with endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography—Illinois, 2013.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2014; 62: 1051
- New Delhi metallo-beta-lactamase-producing carbapenem-resistant Escherichia coli associated with exposure to duodenoscopes.JAMA. 2014; 312: 1447-1455
- Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography-associated AmpC Escherichia coli outbreak.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2015; 36: 634-642
U.S. Food and Drug Administration. The FDA is recommending transition to duodenoscopes with innovative designs to enhance safety: FDA safety communication. Available at: https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/safety-communications/fda-recommending-transition-duodenoscopes-innovative-designs-enhance-safety-fda-safety-communication#:~:text=The%20FDA%20is%20Recommending%20Transition%20to%20Duodenoscopes%20with,in%20the%20assessment%20and%20treatment%20of%20diseases%20. Accessed October 4, 2020.
- Prospective assessment of the effectiveness of standard high-level disinfection for echoendoscopes.Gastrointest Endosc. 2019; 89: 984-989
- Risk factors associated with the transmission of carbapenem-resistant enterobacteriaceae via contaminated duodenoscopes.Gastrointest Endosc. 2016; 83: 1121-1129
- Randomized comparison of 3 high-level disinfection and sterilization procedures for duodenoscopes.Gastroenterology. 2017; 153: 1018-1025
- A randomized trial of single versus double high-level disinfection of duodenoscopes and linear echoendoscopes using standard automated reprocessing.Gastrointest Endosc. 2018; 88: 306-313
- A double-reprocessing high-level disinfection protocol does not eliminate positive cultures from the elevators of duodenoscopes.Endoscopy. 2018; 50: 588-596
- Independent root-cause analysis of contributing factors, including dismantling of 2 duodenoscopes, to investigate an outbreak of multidrug-resistant Klebsiella pneumoniae.Gastrointest Endosc. 2019; 90: 793-804
U.S. Food and Drug Administration. Supplemental measures to enhance duodenoscope reprocessing: FDA safety communication. Available at: https://www.fdanews.com/ext/resources/files/08-15/081015-duodenoscopes-fda.pdf?1520541508. Accessed December 18, 2019.
- Duodenoscope surveillance sampling and culturing: reducing the risks of infection.(Available at:)https://www.fda.gov/media/111081/downloadDate accessed: December 18, 2019
- Clinical evaluation of a single-use duodenoscope for endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography.Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2020; 18: 2108-2117.e3
- Novel single-use duodenoscope compared with 3 models of reusable duodenoscopes for ERCP: a randomized bench-model comparison.Gastrointest Endosc. 2020; 91: 396-403
DISCLOSURE: The following authors disclosed financial relationships: M. A. Gromski: Consultant for Boston Scientific. S. Sherman: Consultant for Olympus America, Boston Scientific, Ambu, Inc, and Cook Endoscopy. D. K. Rex: Consultant for Olympus Corporation, Boston Scientific, Medtronic, Aries Pharmaceutical, Braintree Laboratories, Lumendi Ltd, Norgine, Endokey, GI Supply, and Covidian/Medtronic; research support from EndoAid, Olympus Corporation, Medivators, and ERBE USA Inc; ownership interest in Satisfai Health. All other authors disclosed no financial relationships.
If you would like to chat with an author of this article, you may contact Dr Gromski at [email protected]