Background and Aims
Abbreviations:AI (artificial intelligence), CADx (computer-aided diagnosis), HCR (high-confidence rate), NBI (narrow-band imaging), NICE (NBI International Colorectal Endoscopic), NPV (negative predictive value), PIVI (Preservation and Incorporation of Valuable Endoscopic Innovations), RTH (real-time histology), SSAP (sessile serrated adenoma/polyp)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- The American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy PIVI (Preservation and Incorporation of Valuable Endoscopic Innovations) on real-time endoscopic assessment of the histology of diminutive colorectal polyps.Gastrointest Endosc. 2011; 73: 419-422
- A resect and discard strategy would improve cost-effectiveness of colorectal cancer screening.Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2010; 8: 865-869
- A quantitative assessment of the risks and cost savings of forgoing histologic examination of diminutive polyps.Endoscopy. 2011; 43: 683-691
- Accuracy of in vivo optical diagnosis of colon polyp histology by narrow-band imaging in predicting colonoscopy surveillance intervals.Gastrointest Endosc. 2012; 75: 494-502
- Cost savings in colonoscopy with artificial intelligence-aided polyp diagnosis: an add-on analysis of a clinical trial (with video).Gastrointest Endosc. 2020; 92: 905-911
- Comparison of white light and narrow band high definition images in predicting colon polyp histology, using standard colonoscopes without optical magnification.Endoscopy. 2008; 40: 818-822
- Diagnosis of colorectal lesions with the magnifying narrow-band imaging system.Gastrointest Endosc. 2009; 70: 522-531
- Recognition of surface mucosal and vascular patterns of colon polyps by using narrow-band imaging: interobserver and intraobserver agreement and prediction of polyp histology.Gastrointest Endosc. 2009; 69: 716-722
- Narrow-band imaging without optical magnification for histologic analysis of colorectal polyps.Gastroenterology. 2009; 136: 1174-1181
- Validation of a simple classification system for endoscopic diagnosis of small colorectal polyps using narrow-band imaging.Gastroenterol Endosc. 2012; 54: 3642
- Development and validation of the WASP classification system for optical diagnosis of adenomas, hyperplastic polyps and sessile serrated adenomas/polyps.Gut. 2016; 65: 963-970
- Real-time optical biopsy of colon polyps with narrow band imaging in community practice does not yet meet key thresholds for clinical decisions.Gastroenterology. 2013; 144: 81-91
- Impact of a computer-based teaching module on characterization of diminutive colon polyps by using narrow-band imaging by non-experts in academic and community practice: a video-based study.Gastrointest Endosc. 2014; 79: 390-398
- ASGE Technology Committee systematic review and meta-analysis assessing the ASGE PIVI thresholds for adopting real-time endoscopic assessment of the histology of diminutive colorectal polyps.Gastrointest Endosc. 2015; 81: 502-516
- Impact of an automated system for endocytoscopic diagnosis of small colorectal lesions: an international web-based study.Endoscopy. 2016; 48: 1110-1118
- Computer-aided diagnosis of colorectal polyp histology by using a real-time image recognition system and narrow-band imaging magnifying colonoscopy.Gastrointest Endosc. 2016; 83: 643-649
- Computer-based classification of small colorectal polyps by using narrow-band imaging with optical magnification.Gastrointest Endosc. 2011; 74: 1354-1359
Tamaki T, Yoshimuta J, Takeda T, et al. A system for colorectal tumor classification in magnifying endoscopic NBI images. In: Kimmel R, Klette R, Sugimoto A (eds). Computer Vision–ACCV 2010, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 2011;6493:452-63.
- Computer-aided classification of colorectal polyps based on vascular patterns: a pilot study.Endoscopy. 2010; 42: 203-207
- Computer-aided diagnosis based on convolutional neural network system for colorectal polyp classification: preliminary experience.Oncology. 2017; 93: 30-34
- Real-time differentiation of adenomatous and hyperplastic diminutive colorectal polyps during analysis of unaltered videos of standard colonoscopy using a deep learning model.Gut. 2019; 68: 94-100
- Prediction of polyp pathology using convolutional neural networks achieves “resect and discard” thresholds.Am J Gastroenterol. 2020; 115: 138-144
- Accurate classification of diminutive colorectal polyps using computer-aided analysis.Gastroenterology. 2018; 154: 568-575
- Computer-aided diagnosis for characterization of colorectal lesions: comprehensive software that includes differentiation of serrated lesions.Gastrointest Endosc. 2020; 92: 891-899
- Application of artificial intelligence in gastroenterology.World J Gastroenterol. 2019; 25: 1666-1683
- Artificial intelligence for the determination of a management strategy for diminutive colorectal polyps.Am J Gastroenterol. 2020; 115: 70-72
Chen LC, Zhu Y, Papandreou G, et al. Encoder-decoder with atrous separable convolution for semantic image segmentation. In: Ferrari V, Hebert M, Sminchisescu C, Weiss Y (eds). Computer Vision–ECCV 2018 Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 2018;11211:833-51.
He K, Zhang X, Ren S, et al. Deep residual learning for image recognition. 2016 IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR), Las Vegas, NV; 2016:770-8.
- Management of serrated polyps of the colon.Curr Treat Options Gastroenterol. 2018; 16: 182-202
- Recommendations for follow-up after colonoscopy and polypectomy: a consensus update by the US Multi-Society Task Force on Colorectal Cancer.Gastroenterology. 2020; 158: 1131-1153
- Effect of screening sigmoidoscopy and screening colonoscopy on colorectal cancer incidence and mortality: Systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials and observational studies.BMJ. 2014; 348
- American College of Gastroenterology guidelines for colorectal cancer screening 2008.Am J Gastroenterol. 2009; 104: 739-750
- High accuracy of narrow band imaging without magnification for the real-time characterization of polyp histology and its comparison with high-definition white light colonoscopy: a prospective study.Am J Gastroenterol. 2009; 104: 2422-2430
- Real-time use of artificial intelligence in identification of diminutive polyps during colonoscopy.Ann Intern Med. 2018; 169: 357
- Position statement on priorities for artificial intelligence in GI endoscopy: a report by the ASGE Task Force.Gastrointest Endosc. 2020; 92: 951-959
- Advanced endoscopic imaging: European Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (ESGE) technology review.Endoscopy. 2016; 48: 1029-1045
DISCLOSURE: The following authors received research support for this study from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs as a collaboration as part of the VA Colorectal Cancer Cellgenomics Consortium (“VA4C”): S. S. Mohapatra (Research Career Scientist Award IK6BX003778) and S. K. Singh (CSR&D and BLR&D Merit Review Awards CX001146 and BX004455). This material is the result of work supported with resources and use of facilities at the VA Boston Healthcare System. The contents do not represent the views of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs or the U.S. Government. All other authors disclosed no financial relationships.
See CME section, p. 727.
If you would like to chat with an author of this article, you may contact Dr Singh at [email protected] .