Background and Aims
We aimed to clarify whether red dichromatic imaging (RDI), a new type of image-enhanced endoscopy, improves the visibility of bleeding points in acute GI bleeding (AGIB) compared with white-light imaging (WLI).
Images and videos of bleeding points acquired with WLI and RDI during endoscopic hemostasis for AGIB were retrospectively compared. In images, the color difference between bleeding points and surrounding blood was analyzed. In videos, 4 expert and 4 trainee endoscopists evaluated the visibility on a scale of 1 (undetectable) to 4 (easily detectable). Furthermore, the correlation between the color difference and visibility score was evaluated.
We analyzed 64 lesions. The color difference was significantly higher in RDI (13.11 ± 4.02) than in WLI (7.38 ± 3.68, P < .001). The mean visibility score for all endoscopists was significantly higher in RDI (3.12 ± .51) compared with WLI (2.72 ± .50, P < .001); this was also observed in experts (3.18 ± .51 vs 2.79 ± .54, P < .001) and trainees (3.05 ± .54 vs 2.64 ± .47, P < .001). The color difference and visibility score were moderately correlated for all endoscopists (γ = .56, P < .001) and for experts (γ = .53, P < .001) and trainees (γ = .57, P < .001).
RDI improves the visibility of bleeding points in AGIB compared with WLI. RDI can help endoscopists at all levels of experience to recognize bleeding points by enhancing the color contrast relative to surrounding blood.
Abbreviations:AGIB (acute GI bleeding), ESD (endoscopic submucosal dissection), NBS (National Bureau of Standards), RDI (red dichromatic imaging), ROI (region of interest), WLI (white-light imaging)
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The in-hospital mortality rate for upper GI hemorrhage has decreased over 2 decades in the United States: a nationwide analysis.Gastrointest Endosc. 2015; 81: 882-888
- Time trends and impact of upper and lower gastrointestinal bleeding and perforation in clinical practice.Am J Gastroenterol. 2009; 104: 1633-1641
- Costs and quality of life associated with acute upper gastrointestinal bleeding in the UK: cohort analysis of patients in a cluster randomised trial.BMJ Open. 2015; 5e007230
- Diagnosis and management of nonvariceal upper gastrointestinal hemorrhage: European Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (ESGE) guideline.Endoscopy. 2015; 47: a1-a46
- The role of endoscopy in the management of acute non-variceal upper GI bleeding.Gastrointest Endosc. 2012; 75: 1132-1138
- Management of nonvariceal upper gastrointestinal bleeding: guideline recommendations from the International Consensus Group.Ann Intern Med. 2019; 171: 805-822
- Endoscopic hemostasis techniques for upper gastrointestinal hemorrhage: a review.World J Gastrointest Endosc. 2010; 2: 54-60
- AGA clinical practice update on endoscopic therapies for non-variceal upper gastrointestinal bleeding: expert review.Gastroenterology. 2020; 159: 1120-1128
- Dual red imaging: A novel endoscopic imaging technology visualizing thick blood vessels in the gastrointestinal wall.Endosc Int Open. 2019; 7: E1632-E1635
- Hemostasis treatment using dual red imaging during endoscopic submucosal dissection: a multicenter, open-label, randomized controlled trial.BMJ Open Gastroenterol. 2019; 6e000275
- Clinical usefulness of dual red imaging in gastric endoscopic submucosal dissection: a pilot study.Clin Endosc. 2020; 53: 54-59
- Efficacy of a new image enhancement technique for achieving hemostasis in endoscopic submucosal dissection.Gastrointest Endosc. 2020; 12: E1632-E1635
- Visibility of the bleeding point in acute rectal hemorrhagic ulcer using red dichromatic imaging: a case report.World J Gastrointest Endosc. 2021; 13: 233-237
- Endoscopic hemostasis for spurting duodenal bleeding using dual red imaging.Dig Endosc. 2017; 29: 816-817
- Validation of an instrument to assess colon cleansing.Am J Gastroenterol. 1999; 94: 2667
- Color-tolerance data and the tentative CIE 1976 L a B formula.J Opt Soc Am. 1976; 66: 497-500
- Colorimetry.CIE Publication, Vienna, Austria1986: p. 30
- Linked color imaging enhances endoscopic detection of sessile serrated adenoma/polyps.Endosc Int Open. 2018; 6: E322-E334
- Improvement in the visibility of colorectal polyps by using blue laser imaging (with video).Gastrointest Endosc. 2015; 82: 542-549
- Linked-color imaging improves endoscopic visibility of colorectal nongranular flat lesions.Gastrointest Endosc. 2017; 86: 692-697
- Weighted kappa: nominal scale agreement with provision for scaled disagreement or partial credit.Psychol Bull. 1968; 70: 213-220
- Measurement of observer agreement.Radiology. 2003; 228: 303-308
- Accuracy of screening mammography using single versus independent double interpretation.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2000; 174: 1257-1262
- The measurement of observer agreement for categorical data.Biometrics. 1977; 33: 159-174
- Correlation coefficients: appropriate use and interpretation.Anesth Analg. 2018; 126: 1763-1768
- Predictors of immediate bleeding during endoscopic submucosal dissection in gastric lesions.Surg Endosc. 2009; 23: 1974-1979
- Principles of quality controlled endoscopic submucosal dissection with appropriate dissection level and high quality resected specimen.Clin Endosc. 2012; 45: 362-374
- Tracking the target in colonic diverticular bleeding using red dichromatic imaging.Endoscopy. 2021; 53: E425-26
- Red dichromatic imaging in peroral endoscopic myotomy: a novel image-enhancing technique.VideoGIE. 2021; 6: 203-206
- Endoscopic submucosal dissection of early-stage rectal cancer using full-time red dichromatic imaging to minimize and avoid significant bleeding.VideoGIE. 2021; 6: 193-194
- Role of dual red imaging to guide intravariceal sclerotherapy injection of esophageal varices (with videos).Gastrointest Endosc. 2018; 87: 360-369
- Dual red imaging (novel advanced endoscopy) can increase visibility and can predict the depth in diagnosing esophageal varices.J Gastroenterol. 2017; 52: 568-576
- Evaluation of the severity of ulcerative colitis using endoscopic dual red imaging targeting deep vessels.Endosc Int Open. 2017; 5: E76-E82
Published online: November 08, 2021
Accepted: October 24, 2021
Received: August 10, 2021
DISCLOSURE: All authors disclosed no financial relationships. Research support for this study was provided by Olympus Co (Tokyo, Japan) in supplying the prototype endoscopes equipped with red dichromatic imaging.
If you would like to chat with an author of this article, you may contact Dr Fujimoto at [email protected]
© 2022 by the American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
ScienceDirectAccess this article on ScienceDirect
- Red dichromatic imaging in acute GI bleeding: Does it make a difference?Gastrointestinal EndoscopyVol. 95Issue 4