Background and Aims
Abbreviations:AUROC (area under receiver operating characteristic), BLI (blue-light imaging), HD (high definition), HR (histologic remission), ICC (intraclass correlation coefficient), LCI (linked-color imaging), MES (Mayo Endoscopic Score), MH (mucosal healing), NPV (negative predictive value), PPV (positive predictive value), NBI (narrow-band imaging), NHI (Nancy Histologic Index), PICaSSO (Paddington International Virtual ChromoendoScopy ScOre), RHI (Robarts Histopathology Index), ROC (receiver operating characteristic), UC (ulcerative colitis), UCEIS (ulcerative colitis endoscopic index score), VCE (virtual electronic chromoendoscopy), WLE (white-light endoscopy)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Selecting therapeutic targets in inflammatory bowel disease (STRIDE): determining therapeutic goals for treat-to-target.Am J Gastroenterol. 2015; 110: 1324-1338
- STRIDE-II: an update the selecting therapeutic targets in inflammatory bowel disease (STRIDE) initiative of the International Organization for the Study of IBD (IOIBD): determining therapeutic goals for treat-to-target strategies in IBD.Gastroenterology. 2021; 160: 1570-1583
- Ustekinumab as induction and maintenance therapy for ulcerative colitis.N Engl J Med. 2019; 381: 1201-1214
- Relationship between combined histologic and endoscopic endpoints and efficacy of ustekinumab treatment in patients with ulcerative colitis.Gastroenterology. 2020; 159: 2052-2064
- Treat to target: the role of histologic healing in inflammatory bowel diseases: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2021; 19: 1800-1813
- Incremental benefit of achieving endoscopic and histologic remission in patients with ulcerative colitis: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Gastroenterology. 2020; 159: 1262-1275 e7
- Prognostic value of serologic and histologic markers on clinical relapse in ulcerative colitis patients with mucosal healing.Am J Gastroenterol. 2012; 107: 1684-1692
- Systematic review: histological remission in inflammatory bowel disease: is ‘complete’ remission the new treatment paradigm? An IOIBD initiative.J Crohns Colitis. 2014; 8: 1582-1597
- Histological disease activity as a predictor of clinical relapse among patients with ulcerative colitis: systematic review and meta-analysis.Am J Gastroenterol. 2016; 111: 1692-1701
- Advanced endoscopic techniques in the assessment of inflammatory bowel disease: new technology, new era.Gut. 2019; 68: 562-572
- Development and reliability of the new endoscopic virtual chromoendoscopy score: the PICaSSO (Paddington International Virtual ChromoendoScopy ScOre) in ulcerative colitis.Gastrointest Endosc. 2017; 86: 1118-1127.e5
- The Paddington International Virtual Chromoendoscopy Score in ulcerative colitis exhibits very good inter-rater agreement after computerized module training: a multicenter study across academic and community practice (with video).Gastrointest Endosc. 2018; 88: 95-106.e2
- An international multicenter real-life prospective study of electronic chromoendoscopy score PICaSSO in ulcerative colitis.Gastroenterology. 2021; 160: 1558-1569.e8
- Blue laser imaging endoscopy system for the early detection and characterization of colorectal lesions: a guide for the endoscopist.Ther Adv Gastroenterol. 2016; 9: 50-56
- Coated oral 5-aminosalicylic acid therapy for mildly to moderately active ulcerative colitis: a randomized study.N Engl J Med. 1987; 317: 1625-1629
- Reliability and initial validation of the ulcerative colitis endoscopic index of severity.Gastroenterology. 2013; 145: 987-995
- Development and validation of a histological index for UC.Gut. 2017; 66: 50-58
- Development and validation of the Nancy histological index for UC.Gut. 2017; 66: 43-49
- Definitions of response and remission for the Robarts histopathology index.Gut. 2019; 68: 2101-2102
- pROC: an open-source package for R and S+ to analyze and compare ROC curves.BMC Bioinformatics. 2011; 12: 77
Gamer M, Lemon J, Singh IFP. Various coefficients of interrater reliability and agreement. Availalbe at: https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/irr/. Accessed March 10, 2022.
- Cognition Systematic Review T. Inter-rater and test-retest reliability of quality assessments by novice student raters using the Jadad and Newcastle-Ottawa scales.BMJ Open. 2012; 2e001368
- Sample size charts for Spearman and Kendall coefficients.J Biometrics Biostatistics. 2020; 11: 1-7
- Clinical usefulness of linked color imaging for evaluation of endoscopic activity and prediction of relapse in ulcerative colitis.Int J Colorectal Dis. 2021; 36: 1053-1061
- Assessment of endoscopic mucosal healing of ulcerative colitis using linked colour imaging, a novel endoscopic enhancement system.J Crohns Colitis. 2017; 11: 963-969
- Assessment of endoscopic healing by using advanced technologies reflects histological healing in ulcerative colitis.J Crohns Colitis. 2020; 14: 1282-1289
- Fecal calprotectin thresholds to predict endoscopic remission using advanced optical enhancement techniques and histological remission in IBD patients.Inflamm Bowel Dis. 2021; 27: 647-654
DISCLOSURE: Dr Iacucci is the recipient of unrestricted research grants and equipment loans from Pentax USA, Olympus, and Fujifilm. All other authors disclosed no financial relationships. Dr Iacucci and Dr Ghosh are funded by the NIHR Birmingham Biomedical Research Centre, University Hospitals Birmingham, NHS Foundation Trust and the University of Birmingham. The views expressed are those of the author(s) and not necessarily those of the NHS, the NIHR, or the Department of Health.
Dr Cannatelli, Dr Bazarova, and Dr Furfaro contributed equally to this work.