Background and Aims
Abbreviations:CRT (chemoradiation), ESD (endoscopic submucosal dissection), JNET (Japan NBI Expert Team), PCM (pocket-creation method), pCR (pathologic complete response), TNT (total neoadjuvant therapy)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Benson A, Venook A, Al-Hawary M, et al. NCCN guidelines version 6.2020 Rectal cancer. NCCN clinical practice guidelines in oncology. Available at: https://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/pdf/rectal.pdf. Accessed September 12, 2020.
- Preoperative versus postoperative chemoradiotherapy for locally advanced rectal cancer: results of the German CAO/ARO/AIO-94 randomized phase III trial after a median follow-up of 11 years.J Clin Oncol. 2012; 30: 1926-1933
- AGA Institute clinical update: endoscopic submucosal dissection in the United States.Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2019; 17: 16-25
- Correlations between lymph node metastasis and depth of submucosal invasion in submucosal invasive colorectal carcinoma: a Japanese collaborative study.J Gastroenterol. 2004; 39: 534-543
- AGA clinical practice update on surveillance after pathologically curative endoscopic submucosal dissection of early gastrointestinal neoplasia in the United States: commentary.Gastroenterology. 2021; 161: 2030-2040
- Salvage endoscopic resection after definitive chemoradiotherapy for esophageal cancer: a Western experience.Gastrointest Endosc. 2021; 93: 888-898
- Clinicopathological examination of ESD as salvage therapy for esophageal cancer after definitive chemo-radiation therapy.Endosc Int Open. 2018; 6: E450-E461
- Salvage endoscopic submucosal dissection for the esophagus-localized recurrence of esophageal squamous cell cancer after definitive chemoradiotherapy.Gastrointest Endosc. 2014; 79: 348-353
- Technical feasibility of endoscopic submucosal dissection for local failure after chemoradiotherapy for esophageal squamous cell carcinoma.Gastrointest Endosc. 2018; 88: 637-646
- Narrow-band imaging (NBI) magnifying endoscopic classification of colorectal tumors proposed by the Japan NBI Expert Team.Dig Endosc. 2016; 28: 526-533
- Colon and rectum.in: AJCC cancer staging manual. 8th ed. American Joint Committee on Cancer. American College of Surgeons 2017. New York, Springer Cham2016: 1-8
- The Paris endoscopic classification of superficial neoplastic lesions: esophagus, stomach, and colon.Gastrointest Endosc. 2003; 58: S3-S43
- Long-term outcomes of salvage endoscopic submucosal dissection for local failure after chemoradiotherapy for esophageal squamous cell carcinoma.Jpn J Clin Oncol. 2021; 51: 1036-1043
- Pocket-creation method facilitates endoscopic submucosal dissection of colorectal laterally spreading tumors, non-granular type.Endosc Int Open. 2017; 5: E123-E129
- Pocket-creation method versus conventional method of endoscopic submucosal dissection for superficial colorectal neoplasms: a meta-analysis.Gastrointest Endosc. 2021; 93: 1038-1046
- The efficacy of the pocket-creation method for cases with severe fibrosis in colorectal endoscopic submucosal dissection.Endosc Int Open. 2018; 6: E975-E983
- Successful en-bloc resection of large suuperficial tumors in the stomach and colon using sodium hyaluronate and small-caliber-tip transparent hood.Endoscopy. 2003; 35: 690-694
- Successful traction-assisted endoscopic submucosal dissection using dental floss and a clip for a huge superficial nonampullary duodenal epithelial tumor with severe fibrosis (with video).JGH Open. 2018; 3: 179-181
- Application of dental floss traction-assisted endoscopic submucosa dissection to rectal neuroendocrine neoplasm.Zhonghua Wei Chang Wai Ke Za Zhi. 2019; 22: 377-382
- Predicting outcomes in colorectal endoscopic submucosal dissection: a United States experience.Surg Endosc. 2019; 33: 4016-4025
- Successful endoscopic submucosal dissection of colon cancer with severe fibrosis after tattooing.Clin J Gastroenterol. 2017; 10: 426-430
- Endoscopic mucosal resection vs endoscopic submucosal dissection for Barrett’s esophagus and colorectal neoplasia.Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2019; 17: 1019-1028
- Advances in the treatment of locally advanced rectal cancer.Ann Gastroenterol Surg. 2020; 5: 32-38
- Patterns of morphologic alteration in residual rectal carcinoma following preoperative chemoradiation and their association with long-term outcome.Am J Surg Pathol. 2004; 28: 215-223
- Long-term outcome in patients with a pathological complete response after chemoradiation for rectal cancer: a pooled analysis of individual patient data.Lancet Oncol. 2010; 11: 835-844
- Assessment of a watch-and-wait strategy for rectal cancer in patients with a complete response after neoadjuvant therapy.JAMA Oncol. 2019; 5e185896
- Nonoperative management of rectal cancer with complete clinical response after neoadjuvant therapy.Ann Surg. 2012; 256: 965-972
- A characterization of factors determining postoperative ileus after laparoscopic colectomy enables the generation of a novel predictive score.Ann Surg. 2011; 253: 78-81
- Wound infection after elective colorectal resection.Ann Surg. 2004; 239: 599-605
- Sexual function after treatment for rectal cancer: a review.Dis Colon Rectum. 2011; 54: 113-125
- Quality of life in rectal cancer patients after chemoradiation: watch-and-wait policy versus standard resection—a matched-controlled study.Dis Colon Rectum. 2017; 60: 1032-1040
- Management of adenomas within the area of rectal cancer that develop complete pathological response.Int J Colorectal Dis. 2015; 30: 1285-1287
DISCLOSURE: The following authors disclosed financial relationships: M. Nishimura: Consultant for Boston Scientific, Olympus America, and Lumendi. M. A. Schattner: Consultant for Boston Scientific; advisory board for Novo Nordisk. J. Garcia-Aguilar: Consultant for Ethicon, J&J, and Intuitive Surgical; equity in Intuitive Surgical. M. Weiser: Tumor board member for PreciCa; research funding from Clinical Genomics; section editor of UpToDate. All other authors disclosed no financial relationships.
DIVERSITY, EQUITY, AND INCLUSION: We worked to ensure gender balance in the recruitment of human subjects. One or more of the authors of this paper self-identifies as an under-represented gender minority in science. One or more of the authors of this paper self-identifies as an under-represented ethnic minority in science. The author list of this paper includes contributors from the location where the research was conducted who participated in the data collection, design, analysis, and/or interpretation of the work.
If you would like to chat with an author of this article, you may contact Dr Leung at [email protected]