Background and Aims
Abbreviations:ASA (American Society of Anesthesiologists), ASD (absolute standardized difference), AUC (area under the curve), CI (confidence interval), GA (general anesthesia), IPTW (inverse probability of treatment weighting), IQR (interquartile range), LASSO (least absolute shrinkage and selection operator), MAP (mean arterial pressure), MPOG (Multicenter Perioperative Outcomes Group), SpO2 (oxygen saturation), SRAE (sedation-related adverse event), SWPI (sedation without planned intubation)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Is the American Society of Anesthesiologists classification useful in risk stratification for endoscopic procedures?.Gastrointest Endosc. 2013; 77: 464-471
- Cardiopulmonary complications of endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography.Tech Gastrointest Endosc. 2014; 16: 144-149
- Adverse events associated with ERCP.Gastrointest Endosc. 2017; 85: 32-47
- Type of sedation and the need for unplanned interventions during ERCP: analysis of the clinical outcomes research initiative national endoscopic database (CORI-NED).Frontline Gastroenterol. 2020; 11: 104
- Anesthetist-directed sedation favors success of advanced endoscopic procedures.Am J Gastroenterol. 2016; 112: 290-296
- Guidelines for sedation and anesthesia in GI endoscopy.Gastrointest Endosc. 2018; 87: 327-337
- Sedation-related complications during anesthesiologist-administered sedation for endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography: a prospective study.BMC Anesthesiol. 2020; 20: 131
- Establishing an anaesthetist-delivered propofol sedation service for advanced endoscopic procedures: implementing the RCA/BSG guidelines.Frontline Gastroenterol. 2018; 9: 185-191
- Incidence of sedation-related complications with propofol use during advanced endoscopic procedures.Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2010; 8: 137-142
- Deep sedation without intubation for ERCP is appropriate in healthier, non-obese patients.Dig Dis Sci. 2013; 58: 3287-3292
- A randomized-controlled trial evaluating general endotracheal anesthesia versus monitored anesthesia care and the incidence of sedation-related adverse events during ERCP in high-risk patients.Gastrointest Endosc. 2018; 89: 855-862
- Complications of ERCP in patients undergoing general anesthesia versus MAC.Dig Dis Sci. 2014; 59: 696-697
- Choice of sedation in endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography: Is monitored anesthesia care as safe as general anesthesia? A systematic review and meta-analysis.Ann Gastroenterol. 2021; 34: 879-887
Multicenter Perioperative Outcomes Group. About the Multicenter Perioperative Outcomes Group (MPOG). Available at: https://mpog.org/about/. Accessed February 17, 2021.
- Artifacts in research data obtained from an anesthesia information and management system.Can J Anesth. 2012; 59: 833-841
- Relationship between intraoperative hypotension, defined by either reduction from baseline or absolute thresholds, and acute kidney and myocardial injury after noncardiac surgery: a retrospective cohort analysis.Anesthesiology. 2017; 126: 47-65
- Propensity score methods: theory and practice for anesthesia research.Anesth Analg. 2018; 127: 1074-1084
- Balance diagnostics for comparing the distribution of baseline covariates between treatment groups in propensity-score matched samples.Stat Med. 2009; 28: 3083-3107
- Joint hypothesis testing and gatekeeping procedures for studies with multiple endpoints.Anesth Analg. 2012; 114: 1304-1317
- Design and analysis of studies with binary-event composite endpoints: guidelines for anesthesia research.Anesth Analg. 2011; 112: 1461-1471
- Factors affecting power of tests for multiple binary outcomes.Stat Med. 2010; 29: 2890-2904
- Comparing the areas under two or more correlated receiver operating characteristic curves: a nonparametric approach.Biometrics. 1988; 44: 837-845
- Quality assessment of endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography: results of a running nationwide Austrian benchmarking project after 5 years of implementation.Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2012; 24: 1447-1454
- Sedative techniques for endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2012; CD007274
- A prospective assessment of sedation-related adverse events and patient and endoscopist satisfaction in ERCP with anesthesiologist-administered sedation.Gastrointest Endosc. 2011; 73: 710-717
- Diagnosis and management of patients with myocardial injury after noncardiac surgery: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association.Circulation. 2021; 144: e287-e305
- Use of an ultra-slim gastroscope to accomplish endoscopist-facilitated rescue intubation during ERCP: a novel approach to enhance patient and staff safety.Dig Dis Sci. 2021; 66: 1285-1290
American Society of Anesthesiologists. ASA physical status classification system. Available at: https://www.asahq.org/standards-and-guidelines/asa-physical-status-classification-system. Accessed November 25, 2018.
- Risk factors for endoscopic sedation reversal events: a five-year retrospective study.Frontline Gastroenterol. 2015; 6: 270-277
- Practice guidelines for preoperative fasting and the use of pharmacologic agents to reduce the risk of pulmonary aspiration: application to healthy patients undergoing elective procedures—an updated report by the American Society of Anesthesiologists Task Force on preoperative fasting and the use of pharmacologic agents to reduce the risk of pulmonary aspiration.Anesthesiology. 2017; 126: 376-393
- Practice guidelines for the perioperative management of patients with obstructive sleep apnea: an updated report by the American Society of Anesthesiologists Task Force on perioperative management of patients with obstructive sleep apnea.Anesthesiology. 2014; 120: 268-286
- Impact of endotracheal intubation on interventional endoscopy unit efficiency metrics at a tertiary academic medical center.Am J Gastroenterol. 2016; 111: 800-807
DISCLOSURE: The following author disclosed financial relationships: J. J. Vargo: Consultant for Olympus America and Aspero Medical; advisory board for Docbot. All other authors disclosed no financial relationships. Funding was provided by departmental and institutional resources at each contributing site. In addition, partial funding to support underlying electronic health record data collection into the Multicenter Perioperative Outcomes Group registry was provided by Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan/Blue Care Network as part of the Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan/Blue Care Network Value Partnerships program. Although Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan/Blue Care Network and Multicenter Perioperative Outcomes Group work collaboratively, the opinions, beliefs, and viewpoints expressed by the authors do not necessarily reflect the opinions, beliefs, and viewpoints of Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan/Blue Care Network or any of its employees. Funding for statistical support for this analysis was provided by the Anesthesiology Institute at Cleveland Clinic.
DIVERSITY, EQUITY, AND INCLUSION: One or more of the authors of this paper self-identifies as an under-represented gender minority in science.
If you would like to chat with an author of this article, you may contact Dr Cummings at [email protected] .