- Colorectal cancer is a leading cause of death. Colonoscopy is the criterion standard for detection and removal of precancerous lesions and has been shown to reduce mortality. The polyp miss rate during colonoscopies is 22% to 28%. DEEP DEtection of Elusive Polyps (DEEP2) is a new polyp detection system based on deep learning that alerts the operator in real time to the presence and location of polyps. The primary outcome was the performance of DEEP2 on the detection of elusive polyps.
- Diagnosis of esophageal cancer or precursor lesions by endoscopic imaging depends on endoscopist expertise and is inevitably subject to interobserver variability. Studies on computer-aided diagnosis (CAD) using deep learning or machine learning are on the increase. However, studies with small sample sizes are limited by inadequate statistical strength. Here, we used a meta-analysis to evaluate the diagnostic test accuracy (DTA) of CAD algorithms of esophageal cancers or neoplasms using endoscopic images.
- Artificial intelligence (AI)-based applications have transformed several industries and are widely used in various consumer products and services. In medicine, AI is primarily being used for image classification and natural language processing and has great potential to affect image-based specialties such as radiology, pathology, and gastroenterology (GE). This document reviews the reported applications of AI in GE, focusing on endoscopic image analysis.
- Recent advances in deep convolutional neural networks (CNNs) have led to remarkable results in digestive endoscopy. In this study, we aimed to develop CNN-based models for the differential diagnosis of benign esophageal protruded lesions using endoscopic images acquired during real clinical settings.
- The endoscopic evaluation of narrow-band imaging (NBI) zoom imagery in Barrett’s esophagus (BE) is associated with suboptimal diagnostic accuracy and poor interobserver agreement. Computer-aided diagnosis (CAD) systems may assist endoscopists in the characterization of Barrett’s mucosa. Our aim was to demonstrate the feasibility of a deep-learning CAD system for tissue characterization of NBI zoom imagery in BE.