- EUS-guided biopsy sampling is the method of choice for obtaining pancreatic tissue. Next-generation sequencing (NGS) has been applied to EUS-guided biopsy sampling and may classify patients based on specific molecular profiles. Our study aimed to compare side-by-side the diagnostic yield achievable by genetic identification of somatic mutations detected with NGS versus histologic and cytologic typing in locally advanced pancreatic carcinoma (LAPC) in samples acquired under EUS guidance.
- Self-expandable metal stents (SEMSs) are used for palliation of malignant gastric outlet obstruction (GOO). Studies comparing covered SEMSs (C-SEMSs) and uncovered SEMSs (U-SEMSs) have led to inconclusive results. We compared efficacy and safety of C-SEMSs versus U-SEMSs in patients with GOO.
- Italy recorded its first case of confirmed acute respiratory illness because of coronavirus on February 18, 2020, soon after the initial reports in China. Since that time, Italy and nations throughout the world have adopted very stringent and severe measures to protect populations from spread of infection. Despite these measures, the number of infected people is growing exponentially, with a significant number of patients developing acute respiratory insufficiency. Endoscopy departments face significant risk for diffusion of respiratory diseases that can be spread via an airborne route, including aspiration of oral and fecal material via endoscopes.
- EUS-guided choledochoduodenostomy (EUS-CD) using a lumen-apposing metal stent (LAMS) has recently been reported as an alternative treatment approach for patients with malignant obstructive jaundice and failed ERCP. We analyzed the safety and technical and clinical efficacy of EUS-CD using LAMSs in patients with malignant obstructive jaundice.
- EUS elastography is useful in characterizing solid pancreatic lesions (SPLs), and fractal analysis–based technology has been used to evaluate geometric complexity in oncology. The aim of this study was to evaluate EUS elastography (strain ratio) and fractal analysis for the characterization of SPLs.
- In high-risk surgical patients, the treatment of choice of acute cholecystitis is percutaneous transhepatic gallbladder drainage (PTGBD). Recently, a novel endoscopic device containing a lumen-apposing metal stent with an electrocautery (ECE-LAMS) on the tip has been developed.